Grab your coffee, grab your Morning Score, it’s the perfect way to start the day.
1. #CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Redoubtable defence, a clinical finish and a small slice of luck helped Chelsea toward a 1-0 win over Barcelona last night.
Didier Drogba’s first half strike was (to put it mildly) against the run of play and from then on in, it was all hands to the pump to keep the reigning champions out.
Here’s how all the action unfolded.
2. #BANTY V BARNEY Seamus McEnaney survived a motion to oust him last night. This is far from the end of the matter, though. Most delegates were in favour of his removal, but they did not succeed in getting the required two-thirds majority to carry the decision.
3. #BIG JOHN O’Shea was in town yesterday as we begin a countdown of just 50 days before Euro 2012. He, of course, backed James McClean if he’s picked for the championships, but left the decision down to the man he calls Mr Trapattoni.
O’Shea also urged his team-mates to enjoy the experience, and that means preparing properly and being competitive in all three games.
4. #PIPE AND SLIPPERS Stefan Terblanche revealed that he is planning to retire at the end of the season. However, in the shape he’s in nobody would be surprised if he pushed on for another contract extension at Ravenhill. The full story on that one is here.
5. #GOING FOR GOLD Paddy Barnes has booked his place in London 2012 after beating Steffan Caslarov at the Olympic qualifying tournament in Turkey yesterday.
David Oliver Joyce will not be joining him, instead he takes a place alongside Joe Ward as one of many of our talented boxers unable to compete across the water.