1. #KATIE The road to London 2012 begins today for Katie Taylor and the Irish women’s boxing team when the AIBA World Championships get underway in Qinhuangdao, China.
Boxing begins at 1pm Irish time but Taylor, the three-time World Champion, is likely to receive a bye for the first round. With up to 70 fighters in her lightweight division, she will need to finish in the top three European boxers to qualify for the Olympics.
Confused? We explain it all in detail here.
2. # THE PLAYERS Padraig Harrington is four shots off the lead after the opening round of golf’s fifth major, the Players Championship at Sawgrass.
The Dubliner carded an opening round of three-under par as England’s Ian Poulter and Scotland’s Martin Laird set the early pace with rounds of seven-under.
3. #PRO12 The first of this season’s RaboDirect Pro12 semi-finals takes place tonight when Munster travel to the Liberty Stadium to take on Ospreys.
Tony McGahan has left Ronan O’Gara on the bench after the out-half was passed fit earlier in the week. Ian Keatley starts in the number 10 shirt, and Keith Earls and Donncha O’Callaghan also return to the starting line-up.
4. #LOI With Sligo Rovers and Shamrock Rovers not meeting until tomorrow, St Patrick’s Athletic host Cork City in the pick of tonight’s four Airtricity League Premier Division fixtures.
Yesterday, Pat’s starlet Chris Forrester was named Player of the Month for April. We caught up for a chat with him here.
5. #KERRY GAA Kingdom veteran Tom O’Sullivan looks set to call time on his inter-county football career.
Reports in both the Irish Times and the Irish Independent this morning say that the five-time All-Ireland winner will not be returning to the Kerry panel ahead of the Munster Championship.
6. #SOLBAKKEN Stale Solbakken will be confirmed as the new Wolverhampton Wanderers manager in the coming days, the Guardian reports.
Solbakken, who was sacked as Cologne’s head coach last month, held talks with the Midlands club yesterday.