UNLESS YOU’VE BEEN glued to the internet all weekend, there’s a chance that some weird and wonderful sporting tidbits might have slipped through the cracks. Here’s a run-down of some of our favourites…
1. #FLYING TORNADO American snowboard champ Shaun White has more Winter X Games medals than he’d care to tell you about. But on his third and final run last night, White — who has a dodgy ankle, supposedly — wrapped up his fifth straight superpipe gold by scoring a perfect 100.
Even if (like us) you know nothing about snowboarding, this is worth seeing.
YouTube Credit: wazingababy
2. #NSFW Just in case you’re one of the very few people to miss Peter Casey’s revealing interview on RTÉ yesterday, we’ll include it again.
The septuagenarian horse-racing trainer from County Meath was full of detail when asked by Tracy Piggott how he intended to celebrate Flemenstar’s win at Leopardstown yesterday, his first-ever Grade 1 winner.
Best not to watch if you’re in the office or around kids.
YouTube Credit: JimJimNugent
3. #SLAM DUNK LeBron James pulled out another gem for the highlights reel against the Chicago Bulls last night, leaping over Bulls guard John Lucas III to finish off an outrageous alley-move.
Yes, he jumped over him. To put that into perspective, Lucas is five-foot-eleven.
YouTube Credit: DJSmokeyy
4. #GREEDY Australian Open winner Novak Djokovic is a man of the people; a man who knows how much it would mean to some young tennis fan to catch one of his shirts in the crowd.
Nice guy that he is, Nole picked out a young girl in the front row and tossed her his shirt yesterday. Unfortunately for all involved, the girl was standing beside the Grinch, who swiftly intervened…
YouTube Credit: HelpGet100Subs
5. #PREDICTION Paul the Octopus may be gone to wherever it is that animal oracles go when they die, but worry not — Princess the Camel is here to take his place.
Princess, who lives in New Jersey’s Popcorn Park Zoo has made a habit out of predicting Super Bowl winners; she’s got five of the last six right.
So if you’re looking for betting advice on Sunday’s showdown between the Patriots and the Giants, look no further than the delicious animal treat which she honed in on last week (spoiler: it’s the Giants).
YouTube Credit: newjersey101point5