UNLESS YOU’VE BEEN glued to the internet all weekend, there’s a chance that some weird and wonderful sporting tidbits might have slipped through the cracks. Here’s a run-down of some of the stories you may have missed.
1. #EXPLOSIVE League leaders Anorthosis met Omonia Nicosia in the Cypriot first division yesterday and several people were injured during a moment of madness in the second half. While a player received treatment on the ground, a flare was thrown from the stands and exploded within inches of the men.
YouTube credit: holafoot123
2. #NEAR-MISS A group of Australian fishermen had a lucky escape when their boat was boarded by a 600lb black marlin. The friends, on a catch-and-release trip off the coast of Cairns, had a five-minute battle with the fish before it leapt in – barely missing them with its pointed snout.
We were just lucky we got away. We were all pretty scared and glad that no one got injured and the fish wasn’t injured,” the skipper Daniel Carlson told Cairns.com.au.
Watch the video, accompanied by Kenny Loggins’ hit ‘Danger Zone’, below:
YouTube credit: Junglemanster
(h/t: James Dart)
3. #TOUCHDOWN New Orleans Saints receiver Joe Morgan catches a Drew Brees pass, then flips cornerback Eric Wright over his shoulder en route to the end zone.
YouTube credit: cjzeroatbc
4. #IMPROVISATION Zlatan Ibrahimovic would be proud of the goal Emmerson Boyce scored at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday.
YouTube credit: trLLeee54
5. #RALLY Eventual champion Timo Ball faced Andrei Gacina in the quarter-finals of the European Championships and it took an incredible 27-shot rally for the German to seal the match.
YouTube credit: MurrayfieldTTC