Every morning, TheScore.ie brings you the stories you need to know before your first cup of coffee.
1. #AMERICAN DREAM Rory McIlroy won his second major championship last night as he demolished the field at the US PGA championship. The Holywood man hit a six-under par 66 for an eight-shot victory, breaking the tournament record for margin of victory that Jack Nicklaus set in 1980.
2. #GAA Galway will line out in next month’s All-Ireland SHC final next month, their first since 2005. Anthony Cunningham’s side beat Cork by 0-22 to 0-17 at Croke Park yesterday; Kilkenny and Tipperary face off in the other semi-final on Sunday. Here’s Fintan O’Toole’s analysis.
3. #LONDON2012 It’s all over. The curtain fell on the 30th Olympic Games last night in the English capital with a closing ceremony starring the likes of the Spice Girls and The Who. Ireland’s athletes will arrive in Dublin airport this afternoon; the DAA don’t want you to head out there however.
4. #GAA The senior fare might have been good enough but the minor showdown between Dublin and Clare was a thriller. Oisin O’Rorke’s injury-time goal was all that separated the sides at the end of the All-Ireland MHC semi-final at HQ.
5. #FOOTBALL’S BACK It hasn’t gone away you know. Manchester City got their hands on the first piece of silverware of the English football season, beating Chelsea 3-2 in the Community Shield at Villa Park yesterday.