YOU RECENTLY BOUGHT a nice bike on the government cycle-to-work scheme, you took it out for a weekend spin yesterday and now you want to know how to look after it. No problem.
One of the most important ways to keep your bike running smoothly is to wash it often.
It will save both money and frustration as it will improve chain wear and show up most minor problems before they develop into major ones.
Here, thanks to Barry from Worldwidecycles.com in Clonmel, is how to do it properly:
What you’ll need :
- A medium sized bucket filled with luke warm water if possible and a good squeeze of washing up liquid .A set of brushes similar to the Park set which are available for €28
- Water soluble degreaser such as finish line citrus degreaser for €14.99 or the 5 litre tin of Jizer which is great value and will last for ages for €29
- A tin of water displacement spray oil such as GT85 or WD40
- A large car wash sponge
- A bottle of lube such as white lightening epic for €4.50
- A number of old towels (not new clean white ones from the bathroom which may cause a period of all picture and no sound)
- FS10 Spray cleaner which can be used for quick washes €14.99